Understanding The Fast-Growing Market of Hiking Equipment and Outdoor Products
There is a huge demand for hiking gear and outdoor equipment that is made in China, as they offer great quality products for significantly low costs. This is a useful guide for businesses that are considering the imports of outdoors and hiking equipment from manufacturers in China.
Hiking is an intense and exciting outdoor activity that calls for top-notch equipment. However, not all manufacturers produce such high-quality products. Most of the top-class global hiking gear manufacturing brands sell their products with high price tags.
Therefore, sourcing from Chinese outdoor products suppliers or manufacturers has become the best option for global sellers. Thousands of brands from across the globe depend on China to manufacture their goods at low costs. It is always safer to hire the services of trusted China sourcing agents to ensure high-quality manufacturing and timebound supplies.
The modern trend of outdoor consumption is mostly driven by young people’s desire for an active lifestyle. They look forward to spending time with their friends while exercising and enjoying nature. Let us now talk about the 4 trends that outdoor products suppliers just cannot afford to overlook. It will help them tap into the right markets to sell their goods.
1) Top-tier cities are game – The market is here
Consumers living in first or second-tier cities need outdoor products suppliers, and most of the top brands will have their presence in the cities. Parks, mountains, and lakes surrounding the urban areas are becoming more popular sites for people to exercise, play sports, or simply enjoy their lives outdoors.
People have become health conscious and are looking to buy the best quality equipment and gear for sports and outdoor activities. Young clients are contributing to stronger momentum in premier cities.
According to Xiaohongshu’s data, fitness and hiking equipment linked searches grew to 2.4 times year over year in June. The demand has also grown for sports like cycling. The more pronounced rise in search traffic was among younger generations in big cities like Beijing and Shanghai.
2) Niche sports heat up
Leisure activities are becoming more about lifestyle as outdoor activities assist the Gen-Z to unwind, connect with nature, and maintain their social lives. It is to be noted here that classic high-action sports like basketball, soccer, and tennis are not included in their list.
Today’s preferred sports include glamping, Frisbee, flag football, stand-up paddling, kayaking, and outdoor yoga. Glamping-related searches increased 623 percent year over year in April 2022, according to data from the lifestyle platform Xiaohongshu, compared to a spike of 360 percent in April 2021.
The 2022 Beijing Olympics as well as this outdoor leisure fad have both helped the local sportswear juggernaut. Retail sales of branded goods increased by nearly 40% to $7.3 billion in the first quarter of 2022 compared to the same period in 2021.
3) Social buzz matters
Youth can celebrate (and flaunt) their outdoor recreation moments on social media. However, Gen-Z users don’t just use local stores for buying their equipment. They also use e-commerce websites to buy sportswear and camping gear like tents, chairs, sunglasses, coffee mugs, and other minor pieces of gear.
More than ten brands, showed up among the top 30 search results for tents on Xiaohongshu in the first four months of 2022, compared to just two businesses during the same period in 2021. As a result, there are now more companies in the market than ever before. The market has opened up for new brands to start and establish themselves in the outdoors niche.
4) Diversified consumption scenarios
The popularity of outdoor activities is also raising consumer awareness of a wide range of goods and services, as well as the brands that provide them. “Outdoor activities have countless verticals.
You name it – tents, carts, coffee cups, surfboards, rucksacks, athleisure attire, yoga mats, and more. Brands can convey tales and make sales, all thanks to these many market scenarios, said Da Chun, operations manager at Xiaohongshu.
Customers’ requests for “what to see” have changed to “what to do” because glamping frequently occurs on the outskirts of cities where participants reside, which naturally means that the scenery is no longer quite as unique as it was in the beginning.
Sports-related outdoor pursuits like Frisbee, lure fishing, flag football, hiking, and paddle boarding are growing in popularity.
A few essential pieces of hiking gears
Whether you are hiking briskly or attempting a challenging climb, having the right hiking equipment on hand is crucial. Here are some of the most important hiking accessories you should bring.
- Backpacks – The first thing you need to do is pack and carry all of your necessities. The backpack needs to be portable, light, and comfortable to wear.
- Navigation tools – It could be a GPS unit, compass, or map that will help you find your way again or prevent you from getting lost. Carrying a satellite communications device that functions in areas where cell phones cannot is advised.
- First aid kit – You can heal minor ailments or wounds while hiking with the aid of a first aid kit or box.
- Multi-tool knife – This tool can be used for a variety of tasks, including cutting fruit, mending gear, shredding fabric, creating sharp edges, and more.
- Camping tent – If the weather becomes bad or you find yourself having to spend the night outside unexpectedly, it will shelter you. A camping or hiking tent should strike a good balance between portability, weatherproofing, and lightness.
- Sleeping bag – A peaceful outdoor sleep after a strenuous day of hiking is required to restore your vitality. The same thing can be done for you by a cozy camping sleeping bag.
- Rain Gear or Warm Jacket – Depending on the weather, you should always have a thick jacket or raincoat with you to protect you from the cold or rain.
- Hiking boots – While navigating a rocky terrain or slick slope, it will prevent blisters and offer superb traction. Lightweight and comfy boots are essential.
As you can see, there is a high demand for outdoor products as the market is expanding from all corners. Companies looking to import products from China must seriously consider exploring this market niche as it has huge growth potential.
China has over the years become an important supplier of all different types of hiking gear because of the cost advantages that Chinese manufacturers offer. However, you need to exercise caution while choosing any Chinese supplier. Besides price, it is also important to check the quality of these hiking gears. The best solution here is to partner with sourcing agents from China to import goods to your country.