Our favourite Rugby Podcasts
The dawn of podcasting has changed the way we consume news, and rugby is no exception. Rugby fans are no longer restricted by their location, and can enjoy great broadcasts from almost anywhere in the world with an internet connection, on demand.
Here we recommend 5 of the best rugby podcasts for rugger-buggers everywhere:
- The Rugby Pod – Australian based podcasters Andrew Ferguson and Andy Blythe provide entertaining insight into all aspects of the game, mainly focusing on rugby in Australia. The pair analyse Super Rugby games with authority and wit, while providing educated commentary on international fixtures. But don’t think their knowledge is limited to Oz; they also discuss other top tournaments like the Six Nations and the World Cup as well as South African Rugby news, and they can’t wait to debate the biggest talking points in club rugby and the Guinness Pro12.
The podcast is available free on iTunes and acast for non-Apple users, with a new episode published every Thursday.
- The Rugby Pub – A show for those who like their ruff and tuff with a side of wit and banter, hosted by UK rugby fanatics Michael “Taffy” Taylor and Mark “MG” Geyer. Taffy is a Welshman residing outside Cardiff, while MG hails from Australia but has been based in the UK since 2009 after playing for Sale Sharks. Their easy camaraderie makes them the perfect leads for this entertaining and informative podcast.
The rugby pub is available free on iTunes and Soundcloud, with a new episode published every Tuesday.
- The Rugby Pass Offload – A weekly podcast about rugby union, now in its second season, presented by Max Lahiff and Ryan Wilson, with Marc Edwards. With their inside knowledge of playing the game at elite level, the cast provides lively and informed analysis of the latest rugby news. With regular big name guests, this is not to be missed.
The rugby pass offload is available free on iTunes, Soundcloud and www.rugbypass.com/podcasts for non-Apple users, with a new episode published every Wednesday.
- The Scrumcast – A weekly rugby podcast from the experts at Rugby World magazine. Presented by former England international James Haskell and award-winning journalist Andy Goode, it takes an in depth look into all of the issues facing the modern-day professional rugby player. They discuss the latest rugby news, review recent top class matches and take calls from players around the world.
The scrumcast is available free on iTunes, with a new episode published every Wednesday.
- The Sideline View – Presented by former England international Austin Healey, this show takes an irreverent look at all aspects of rugby, but unlike many others in the modern game it doesn’t take itself too seriously. Healey has an impressive list of contacts within the world of rugby, and he is always able to call upon his old teammates for comment on the latest issues.
The sideline view is available free on iTunes and Soundcloud, with a new episode published every Tuesday.
That’s our pick of the best rugby podcasts around the globe, but which one is your favourite? We’ve heard that the guys at Factory Weights are soon to be releasing a new one to coincide with some Scottish Games, football and rugby sponsorships. Excited for that one, for sure!